Visit Hindu Temple – Sri Kurmam
Puraanaas are the fruits of the vision and selfless preachings of our sages .They are the repositories of highest wisdom explained in a lucid telltale manner. One of these episodes is connected to churning of Cosmic Milk sea by Devatas & Rakshasas for getting nectar., and the help of Lord Vishnu in doing so. This episode, as appearing in the 8th Skandha of Bhagavatam, is famous with the name “ Ksheera Sagara Madhanam”.As per our Scriptures , Kurma (Tortoise) Avataar is the second incarnation of the famous Dasa Avataaraas of Lord Sri Maha Vishnu.The message of Kurma Avataar, is that of timely divine help to seekers after they put in their best efforts in attaining/regaining Glory.It took place in the Solar Planetary system during the sixth Manu of Varaaha Kalpa – Chakshusha.
During Kruta Yuga of 28th Maha Yuga of Seventh Manu – Vaivaswata, Lord Sri Maha Vishnu remanifested in Srikurmam (A.P.,India) in Kurma Avataar Form. Legend Says that during Kruta (Satya) Yuga, A Pious King – SWETA MAHARAJ , observed fierce Penance for many years. Fulfilling his wish, LORD VISHNU manifested (Swayambhu) here in the form of Kurma Avataar. LORD BRAHMA, the creator of Universe, himself officiated the celestial rituals and consecrated the shrine with Gopaala Yantra .Since Kurmanadha is the controlling deity forSaturn, Devotees believe to be relieved of all Sani Doshas with Darshan at the Temple.
This ancient shrine is believed to be prior to the Golden era of SRI RAAMA (Raama Raajyam). For thousands of years, the temple is in the Pilgrimage list of devotees from all over. It has many prominent Features making SriKurmam a world reknowned, sacred shrine. A few of them are
1. More than a Million Year old Shrine where Outer Structures were constructed many a time, after dilapidation of previous one, the present one being more than 700 years old.
2. References in Kurma, Vishnu, Padma, Brahmaanda Puranaas.
3. Only Swayambhu Temple in the World where Maha Vishnu is adored in the form of Kurma (Tortoise) Avataar – 2nd Incarnation of the Famous Dasa Avataaraas of Lord Vishnu.
4. One of the few Temples in the World with 2 Dwaja Stambhaas – the second one in the west since deity is facing West.
5. One of the few Vishnu Temples in the World where Abhishekham is performed on daily basis (Like in Siva Temples).
6. One of the Few Temples in the World with centuries old rare Mural Paintings similar to those in Ajanta Ellora Caves.
7. Second Temple in the World with Durga Mata in Vaishno Devi Form., the other being in Vaishno Devi Temple, Jammu & Kashmir State.
8. Stone Sculpture at its Peak – Called Gaandharva Shilpa Kala. 108 exquisitely carved stone pillars where no pillar is similar to the other. Under ground Tunnel to Varanasi (KAASI).
9. Moksha Sthaanam where last rites are performed for deceased , like in Varanasi (U.P.State) / Puri (Odisha State)
10. Visited by many great Kings and Saints including Lava & Kusha, Bala Raama, Sage Durvaasa, Adi Sankaracharya,Ramanujacharya,Narahari Teertha, Chaitanya Maha Prabhu etc.